About us...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Giant Prayer Request

So all who know me know that I have pretty bad scoliosis. I've had it since the seventh grade when Coach Kytle discovered my spine was crooked. Wore a back brace for three years, all the way into high school.  The brace was worn until my pelvic bone closed or something in order to keep me "straight" during my years of growth during adolesence.  I didn't mind the brace although it was huge and i got made fun of ALOT!!  But it was fine, because I knew it was better than the scoliosis surgery they were trying to prevent.  It is just something I've lived with my whole life since I can remember - and yes, it's painful but the older I get, the more painful it has become. Maybe painful is not the right word....more like uncomfortable.  Well, i had an appt Friday with an orthopedic surgeon because I've just been hurting in my lower back.  And after x-rays two doctors came in and told me that it is possible that my curve has progressively gotten worse in the past seven years - so they recommended THE surgery.  Immediately i burst into tears b/c I have always been very afraid of this happening.  It is a major surgery.  Rods and about 26 pins lining both sides of my spine.  I'm writing about it now because it's very hard to talk about and I need prayers!  I am going to see a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon in Brunswick in late March in order for him to look at my x-rays and see what he thinks because I do need another opinion and I want to know what he thinks as he is a close family friend.  This is something that I'm not really handling very well.  It's hard to think of anything else since Friday when I got the news.  Not only is the surgery itself very intensive and long - but the recovery is about a year.  Can't lift more than a pound for a year, I would be in a back brace on bedrest for like eight weeks, the list goes on and on.  I am terrified and praying that I don't have to do this anytime soon, and really praying for a miracle that I never have to do it although that is unlikely.  It's a very hard decision and I am praying for wisdom from the doctors and praying so hard that if and when I do it, the outcome is perfect and my babies are older.  Lots to think about.
I appreciate your prayers for our family at this time - I know God knows the answer already so I'm trying not to worry about it, but it's hard because this would affect my husband and two children immensely if I have to do this, so thanks so much to everyone!

In other news, it's a beautiful Sunday - church was great and the Oscars are on tonight. :)

love you all,
asc

1 comment:

The Jacobs Family said...

Praying now sweet lady. God is the great Healer and Comforter and we will pray for both.